PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there an airstrip on Iona?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2007, 16:08
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Oronsay strip was established in 1950 after the original strip at Machrins Farm on Colonsay was closed. It was still in occasional use up to the 1980s after the completion of the new Machrins Farm strip in 1974, but has been completely disused for about 20 years now. Oronsay had 3 grass runways - 04/22 457m, 08/26 and 14/32 both 411m. They crossed at grid ref 356883.
If I could find out how to paste an image into this post I'd show you the runway alignments superimposed on Basil S's pic. The FAQ says you click the "Manage Attachments" button but I don't seem to have one, and the insert image button only seems to work if you're uploading from a website. Anyone any ideas?

Humaround: yes, it's a long way from Orkney to Shetland, but if you get high enough there's always Fair Isle half way across. I'd still want a survival suit on for that crossing though. Re Scapa Flow, Lamb Holm will get you nicely to the east side of the Flow but all the museums etc are round on the west side at Lyness, with the exception of the Italian POWs chapel which is right next to the Lamb Holm strip.

NS