PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FI Shortage
Thread: FI Shortage
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2007, 08:54
Say again s l o w l y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say I know fall into the category of someone who limits his instructing because of the pay.

If I'm only going to be earning £20/hr and the school only has 3-4 students, then why should I take time away from earning enough to pay my mortgage?

Schools really do need to get into the modern age and get to grips with all the dodgy practices that go on. The hooky "self employment" when you are nothing like it, not having proper company insurances, not providing any training or career development for their staff etc. etc.

It's nice to see however that there are some schools starting to come out of the dark ages with decent retainers and hourly rates or even god forbid salaries!

I only now go in when someone calls me and tells me there is going to be X amount of flying. My days of hanging around schools waiting for the phone to ring or just getting a couple of hours in are long gone and I suspect the same for many of us.

It will make a difference, but since most flying school owners are business incompetents of the highest order it will take a while for this to sink in!