PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHC global - Pilots and Engineers
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2007, 23:57
Swamp76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alrighty then...

I was attempting to present a deliberately absurd counterpoint to the contention that CHC should have only 7 employees per a/c, as all others are just leeches profitting from our hard work.

To start, we were talking about CHC Global, not one base. Aquila was also professing his ideal staffing, not what exists right now. I contend that he has missed the mark.

Mamaput: The PH engineers are in the hangar from 0600 to 2200 each day. I'm thinking they would like less than a 14 hour day for 42 days straight.

No too long ago there were 14 a/c in PH, with 2 on night cover, and a NCAR mandated one day off per week. That translates into 72 pilots for 14 a/c (5.1 pilots/machine in and out of country) with no extra trg guy.

Aquila: I will plead ignorance on single a/c bases as I haven't worked one. The smallest I worked was 2 a/c, which used 6 pilots and 4 engineers on site (so 12 and 8 total) plus a BM.

On these bases I have been asked to fly during the day and be the night cover guy. I have done it when it was for a genuinely unforeseeable event (malaria) and refused when it was for something else (they sent in a pilot without a night rating).

Pero Rojo: That is the typical interpretation of the 'medevac exemption' but I have personally interpreted it that if the customer has asked for the capability, then it is a service they have paid for, and it therefore cannot be viewed as unforeseen.

I got my management chat for being 'not a team player' on this issue. I agree wholeheartedly with your last comment:

If you don't like this set up but still don't want to abandon some poor slob that got injured on the rig by declaring crew rest, a little customer education can help. Usually customers that don't get the second crew don't know the rules, regulations or the ramifications of the single crew operation.
I'm all for improving things but I maintain that 7 pers per a/c is unrealistic for the company to operate effectively. Vancouver is bloated right now but I think our employment would be shortlived if there was noone there.

As for my association stance: I want an association to which I can give my support that is proactive, effective, and positive. Not confrontational at every opportunity and unrealistic.