PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Misunderstanding ATC instructions
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2007, 17:49
hvogt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello SRS

Let me add a few thoughts from my point of view, e. g. the view of a non-native speaker.

From my own experience, it is sometimes tricky to understand strong accents, fast language or slang. The only cure for that problem, however, seems to be practise. I could improve my listening comprehension mainly by watching DVDs. Whenever I don't understand a word or sentence, I rewind, turn on the subtitle, read, and write a flash card. This might not be a solution specific to the ATC context, but I feel that improving my English in general has also helped me understanding radio calls better.

Another problem refers to mental calculus. Most people calculate in their first language, even when they have lived abroad for a long time an begun to think in the foreign language. Hence the workload for non-native speakers is higher at that point, as they do translate numbers in mind. However, finding a solution for that problem seems difficult. Discipline and organising ones thoughts might be keywords here.

Last but not least there should be no false pride in the cockpit. Pilots should be encouraged to use 'say again' and 'speak slower', which are indeed standard phrases. Though I have to admit that this won't improve understanding at all, rather on the contrary.

Cheers

hvogt

Last edited by hvogt; 15th May 2008 at 16:12.