PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armavia A-320 accident report now available
Old 9th Jul 2007, 11:15
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 157 Likes on 32 Posts
Ok Basil,

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Air China, Nagoya. Inadvertant activation of go-around mode by FO. Crew subsequently tried to fight the aircrafts pitch/thrust (go-around) leading to a stall.

Kenya - no recall

Tarom - similar to Air China but "rescued"?

Aeroflot - Siberia..... Don't let your son fly the aircraft..... situation not recoverable.

Air France - Basel. Been done to death. Lot's of conspiracy theories. Bottom Line - if you fly a jet at 30' towards a forest (instead of the 400' as briefed) don't forget that the engines will take a while to spool up FROM IDLE.

Bangalore - OP DES (Thrust to idle) selected on approach. High sink rate developed with intervention by crew too late. Flight directors were not being operated in accordance with FCOM.

Air Inter - Mode confusion. 3.3° desired (approx 900fpm) 3,300 fpm selected.

A330 - Toulouse. Go around with simulated engine failure during ALT* - leading to stall?

The A300, 310 accidents were essentially pilot error. Procedures not being followed. The aircraft was performing "as instructed".

The Basel (Habsheim), Bangalore and AirInter accidents were in the early days of the FBW Airbus series. Without a doubt mode confusion played a part in the AirInter and this was addressed by Airbus with a new FCU design. The Habsheim accident - well read the timeline, the aircraft did exactly as it was told to do. Bangalore. Two inexperienced Capts. Check Capt was NOT authorised by Airbus to instruct. Deselection of ONE flight director (no no on Airbus) cause inappropriate thrust mode.

A330 - Accident during test flight. I think it had somethingto do with no low speed protection during ALT* with oei?

For me the over-riding factor that comes out of the above is you MUST understand what the aircraft is doing and be FULLY familiar with the FCOM. If you accidentally trigger go-around mode (old Airbus and (Boeing?)) DON'T FIGHT IT - especially if the trim is automatically winding NOSE UP. Just go with it - swear under your breath - vector round again. NEVER try to rescue a bad approach.

Mode confusion. When you select a mode on the FCU (MCP on Boeing?) then (hopefully!) you expect confirmation not only from the FMA (Flight Mode Annunciator) but also the secondary indicators (OP DES - I expect to see the thrust reduce to IDLE and a pitch down.) If I select FPA -3° I expect to see 700-900 fpm V/S - if I see 3,000 fpm then something isn't right.

It all comes down to Training. It is the reponsibility of Trainers, AND Trainees, to ensure that modes, and there consequences, are fully understood. A thorough understanding and full appreciation of what you EXPECT to see will make your life a lot easier - particularly close to the ground in a non-normal scenario which isn't the time to scratching your head and asking questions.

If the weather is cr@p - slow down!!! Take your time!! Don't try to be "slick".
If you rush and screw it up you just going to be up in the wx longer.

No aircraft is perfect - and the Airbus is usually singled out for criticism. If you are trained properly and make sure you understand the aircraft and its systems (which is a licence requirement) then the Bus is very capable and very easy to fly.

A4