PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what are the degrees you can take to be an airline pilot
Old 9th Jul 2007, 10:25
mattkcraven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
then go to university, study aeronautical engineering, physics, avionics; one of those sort of degrees, whilst working towards your cpl/FI/ATPL(f)
By 'working' towards your cpl/FI/ATPL(f) then do you surely just mean hours building? Studying for my Aeronautical Engineering degree leaves just enough time during the semesters to work enough hours a week (at tesco) to pay for said flying, nevermind additional studying. lol.

My thoughts on the whole subject is similar to barbour112. A full blown degree, with a PPL on the side, has to be more worthwhile than an aviation technology degree (for example) in the overall scheme of things. I myself (as many others) realised I wanted to fly from a very young age and have applied myself to now be in the position as a PPL holder with 100hours entering my final year of a BEng degree, including a year out working at GE Aviation.

Not saying that an Aviation Tech with Pilot Studies is less appealing to airlines etc, but it does contain less content degree wise, and with so many students taking up the course each year then its logical to say thats its all about standing out from the crowd that little bit more.

...........then again because of when i started the degree then I miss the 'top-up fees'. The "Would I start a degree now?" question would have to be, well, a No.

Last edited by mattkcraven; 9th Jul 2007 at 10:49.