PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Express Algeria is a Joke!
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2007, 06:19
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm...

I just finished a month at Messi Hassaoud with the other crowd. My main problem was bl**dy Air Express aircraft parked on the ramp taking up two spaces, just because they couldn't hit the spot! We would come trundling up in the Twin Otter, full of unfounded optimism because we thought we saw a parking space, only to find an Air Express Beech 1900 or Let 410 sat there just enough off to one side that we had to go off in another direction, disappointed with the cabin holding steady at about 45° C and the barf bags running low.

Are the ramps in Seth Effrica wide-open or something, vast rolling expanses of asphalt? Hassi has a rather small and crowded ramp with a limited number of spaces for small aircraft. I end up having to cram my Twin Otter into a Porter parking space, just to ram home the message that I'm not even a small jet pilot anymore. God! The humiliation....

Other than that and the odd camel spider I found life in Algeria pretty good relative to West Africa. The Algerians do love their bureaucracy and ATC seems to think less than 10 miles or 20 minutes separation constitutes a "near miss" but the absolute bloody-mindedness you can find just a few countries further south was not present. Too, to see a man in uniform without his hand out, you feel like, "What is wrong with this picture?" So, cheer up! It could be worse.