PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 9th Jul 2007, 03:57
boofhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 years professional pilot in Aus/NZ with ATPL/instructor both countries, ATPL from UK and now 13 years ATP/CFI/CFII/CFMEI in the US flying and teaching on many single and multi engine airplanes including skis, floats, amphib, conventional gear as instructor/line pilot with airline (Part 135/91), flying schools and as an independent CFI , I believe I am qualified to say that the US system is so much better than that found in Aus/NZ/UK from the perspective of cost and efficiency, and is demonstrated to be safer, that I am astounded you guys have your blinkers so firmly fitted to your faces. Is it a case of NIH? (Not Invented Here).
I particularly like the rules for Instrument flying and for instructing. I don't need to do an instrument competency check unless I don't fly enough. I do an online course to keep my instructor certificate alive. If I get caught by weather I pop up for an IFR clearance and get one every time. I don't have to worry about how much that will cost me since all the regulatory costs are in fuel taxes. Flying IFR is cheaper because I can go direct. I can fly at 12500 feet without oxy and without pressurisation. I teach on airplanes I have not previously flown, I can teach my own kids in my spare time. I am not checked as to my success rate unless I want to be a DPE (designated examiner), but the results of my teaching will show in the results of my students. I fly single pilot IFR at night in single engine airplanes without autopilot (not on airline business), I only have one AI and T&B. My medical takes two hours and costs $100. In short, the system in the US is based on what works; practicality is the aim.
While you live by rules and restrictions, US pilots are tested for competency as pilots and if they pass the practical test (which has tough aurals) they are good to go. They log PIC time whenever they touch the control column, no matter what their assignment in the cockpit, and I know several long-haul pilots who log the time in the bunk, so they are more competitive in the international market too. (OK, that one is not a good example).
The only area I have concern is that the examinations for certificates (they don't have licences) are too easy. But the exams in Aus/UK are way to tough and irrelevant. Maybe something in between?