PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what are the degrees you can take to be an airline pilot
Old 9th Jul 2007, 00:28
aviatorpepe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great question! The short answer is none. There is not a specific degree that will give you an edge . . . With that said, I find it very interesting that in Europe a degree is not necessary to get a pilot job with a major airline. Here in the United States having a degree (regardless of specialty) is a requisite for many airlines.

Typically, the career path of many aspiring pilots in the U.S. is to complete a Bachelor’s degree and concurrently learn to fly. For others, getting as much flying time as early as possible is their main goal; completing a degree only after getting the flight credentials.

My career path was somewhat unorthodox because I went against the advice of the so called "experts." I started flying at 23, finished my ratings at 27 (I self- financed my entire career); I got my first flying job at 29 after obtaining all the flight instructor certificates (CFIAIM). After that I continued to flight instruct, flew night freight, charter, and international cargo. While doing all these, I started university courses via correspondence; kept flying cargo . . . And at 35 with about 7,000 hrs of flight time and a college degree, I got my dream job with a major U.S. airline. Today, I am a captain of B737's and enjoyed my distant learning experience so much that I decided to complete an MBA via on-line; only this time I’m doing it for personal satisfaction and not by necessity.

Good luck on your choices.

P

Last edited by aviatorpepe; 9th Jul 2007 at 01:24.