PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Google Earth and RAF Stations
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2007, 18:31
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rev I. Tin
This will make you blubber...
They even had a frickin' palm tree on the Station Crest. I am surprised the Motto wasn't 'Brandy Sours'
Must have been an absolute bummer of a tour!
Oh it was. Real rough. Not based there but several trips including a ranger from Cyprus to Gan - coals to Newcastle and all that.

In the huts near the mess, low lying trees between huts, perhaps 10 feet high, and the fruit bats doing circuits. About a 3 feet wing span, flare over a branch, foot arrestor gear engage, wing fold and swing inverted head about 2 feet off the ground.

Then unlatch wing clamps, extend wings, release foot engagement and graceful glide off without hitting the ground. Awesome.

Or the trumpet fish about 6 feet long swimming inches below the surface and just behind your arc of vision. Or turtles diving on the reef just yards from the OM.

In the evening, beer on the lawn, watching the Maldivians walking across to Fedu if the tide was out and the Dohni races where they would race each other back to Fedu cheered by us.

Or, how did you break your ankle, "fell off a coconut".