PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Combined Asthma, peak flow, and spirometry thread
Old 8th Jul 2007, 11:47
flyboy2508

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asthma and getting an airline job

Hi,

I am 33 and moving onto my second career and aiming to fly for the airlines. I had childhood asthma and failed the peak flow test in the class 1. The doctors seems to think after 6 weeks on an inhailor I will be fine and pass the test. I do not normally use an inhailor and have not need to since a kid.

I will have a class 1 medical and offically on the record as having asthma and my record will state I use an inhailor daily which is allowed for class 1 as long as you have not had an attack in 5 years.

What do the airlines ask about your medical, do they just see that you have a class 1 cert and not ask any more or do they want to know if you are on any medication and therefore I have to declare I have asthma. In a job situation for Cityjet, Aer Arann, Air Contractors for example I will be up against others for the job and I am the only one that has asthma then I expect I would be knocked off the list as asthma sounds like a complication an airline does not need.

Be great to hear what the airlines actually need to know about you medically and what I have to decare or can I avoid bringing the asthma up at all. I aiming to work for the regionals.

Thanks for the help.