PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA Go around
Thread: MDA Go around
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2007, 06:02
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
411A, could you explain (in simple terms) how it is possible to initiate a missed approach AT MDA, from a stabilised descent, and then not continue to descend below the MDA in the process?

212man, you might be presuming that I might fly a missed approach when reaching MDA, but in fact this is not my particular style.
I would prefer to have a 'fly level' segment.
This provides both an ample opportunity to look for the runway (especially useful for circling approaches), the engines are nicely spooled-up, and the flaps are still at the approach (maneuvering) setting, thereby giving a reasonable assurance that a go-around can be performed without descending through the MDA.

I have found over the years that this works the best for me, and indeed when I began flying 4-engine heavy jet aeroplanes, this is how it was taught.
Over the years however some operators have decided that, for their particular operation, the continous descent profile is better suited.
I generally combine the two, IE, the continuous descent profile is used for step down fixes, however a missed approach is not started until reaching the missed approach point...not necessarily when reaching MDA.