PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 5%? 10%? 60%? For a pay raise?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2007, 03:42
ULRequalsSLEEP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well for the last 11 years if you have wanted to join CX or EK you had to join CX as an SO and you joined EK as an FO. So it seems logical to compare what pay you would be on at particular year points. Qantas make you join as an SO. Should I compare QF FO salary versus CX? In that case QF pay way more than CX as you will get between $130K to $200K depending on which fleet versus what you get in CX which is about $120K at the moment.

So yes some of our SOs don't have the experience to join EK but most do.

CX FO salary is higher - but it takes you 4 years to get it(3 years as SO, 1 year as JFO). EK CN salary is lower than CX for the first few years but is higher than CX later as their increments are 3% per year. But if command stays the same in both airlines, over the first 10 years you are 25% better off financially in EK and after 20 years you are still almost 15% better off. But I would suggest the risk is on the downside for command at CX with RA60/65 which would lower career earnings at CX.

Why am I telling people this? SO that any potential new joiners know that EK now pays much more than CX, command is in about 4 years with RA65 whereas CX is 9-10years with RA55 and that will get worse if we do accept RA60/65 - caveat emptor.

Why don't I leave? Well because I have invested too much time in CX and I don't want to start again. It would also affect my commuting. So no I will stay here even though financially my conditions are deteriorating. But that shouldn't stop us from warning potential new joiners what is out there!

Bad air sucker, I just want people to know the facts. EK used to be the badly paid airline that had quick command as the attraction. Now they pay better than we do and still have quick commands! Dont know why you are off in a huff....are you in CX recruiting or management? Its important for us all to know what our competitors pay and conditions are.