PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!
Old 7th Jul 2007, 18:17
musclemech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PMAT

Although the RAF might be interested in you being fit to do your job, it is very difficult to test whether you are or not, as the concept of fitness is too specific. A clerk needs a different type of fitness than an armourer; a pilot a different type of fitness than a JEngO; even a FJ pilot needs a different fitness than an AT pilot. The OFA was an attempt to find tasks that could be done by everyone ie on ops and then test them specifically and that turned out to be extremely difficult to do.

No, the RAFFT was introduced for the reasons I mention above. It is a health based test and nothing whatsoever to do with fitness to serve, operate or any other task (This, I think, will be written on my headstone!!).

In theory to pass the test you should have to exercise regularly. If you do you gain health wise (see previous post) and that was the basis upon which the RAFFT was introduced. Obviously the RAF benefits to a certain extent as those who exercise regularly have less time off sick and are more productive etc but the main thrust behind the introduction was for the health benefits to the individual.

MM