PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHC global - Pilots and Engineers
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2007, 17:31
Swamp76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aquila13,

Just 7 pers to operate the helo. Sounds grand.

We'll fire the flight followers, the regulator/customer won't mind if we dispense with the flight watch. We'll fire the flight coordinator, the customer can contact one of the pilots whenever there is an issue, that won't impact crew rest at all. The engineers aren't busy so we'll get rid of the stores as well. We'll all take turns at billing and accounts, payroll too, that should be OK, the minor hiccups won't be noticed. I'd love to spend all my off time arranging work permits, making flight bookings, and chasing down someone in the ExxonMobil bureaucracy.

We'll contract out all the maintenance (hangar), cleaning, vehicle support/driving, baggage handling, customer check-in. The pax won't notice the change in level of service.

Now, pilots and engineers: each a/c is 24/7, so i think the engineers would like to have a day off. That means more like 4 engineers: 2 in country (one day, one night) and 2 at home. I'm thinking 8 pilots/4 crews with the same logic...unless you want them to fly all day and hold medevac call all night. But you are too honest to try that trick. So I guess we have 12 pointy-enders, not 7. The night pilots will likely be in the hangar anyway helping the lone engineer change a blade. Apprentices and helpers are just costly overhead.

Now let's be a little more serious. If the 'association' that smells like a union wants more support, it needs to take a much more realistic view of what it takes to run a company. I haven't been in charge of much more than my a/c in quite some time but I haven't forgotten everything it takes to be a manager.

An engine isn't just a few pistons, spark plugs and fuel floating in space. There needs to be a structure, coherent and efficient, that supports it.

The logic you used in manning must really help when you apply to CRM (I couldn't help it, it's just so PC and easy).

Yes, I am CHC. No, I have not joined the 'association'. I would like to have more information before ponying up cash and having my 'vote' used for good or ill. And yes, it will be used. Used to demonstrate that I am behind the movement. I certainly don't think all is rosy but if you want my support, don't treat me like cattle.