PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2007, 11:39
thirtysomething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Fly in Spain

Hi ,

Not knowing one flying school from the other , take my reccomendation as being from somebody slightly " naive " in terms of how things should be done . That being said I am very glad to have chosen FIS , Jerez , which despite some " charms " does what it says on the tin in a fairly relaxed manner with instuction that for me has been clear ( although you do have to push a little to get a good brief before getting in the plane which i think is pretty much a common complaint in many schools ) . I just completed my first 13 hours in 10 days and this morning managed an entire flight from start to finish including the landing ( which i was a bit apprehensive about ) , such a huge confidence boost . I cant claim any great natural ability since on my first take off a week a go i seemed determined to give it a bootful of rudder that wanted us of the runway !

They like a lot of flight schools are tight for instructors but very positively i have seen some people come to get " checked " and despite their existing team going flat out ( there have been some instructors depart recently ) they are not filling empty slots with anybody and have told us they would rather not fly than send us with somebody they werent entirely happy about.

So far i can only pass the advice to people to watch the time of year when you come here, FTE next door are well behind due to rain for the months of March / April and now its hot and bumpy ( im told if i can manage this ill manage most things ). What this has meant there was a " rush " to get the morning slots before it became too bumpy for people in their early hours with the odd sortie coming back in because it was impossible to learn. Then in the afternoon some of the guys who would have gone solo if it were calm had to take instructors with them ( as insurance I guess )

The other thing I would say to anybody whos looking at attractive adverts to do your PPL in the sun in 3 weeks ( from some flight schools in Florida in particular ) , seems to me that it would be extremely hard work esp if you were doing exams aswell. I reckon with the exams ill be done ( all things going well in about six weeks which i have allowed ( gives me the odd day off which is for me important to assimilate and come to grips with so many new experiences).

I cant believe im sitting here typing this , for me this is a childhood dream come true and very often I have to pinch myself. Did I really do the lot this morning , do an echo VFR departure , communicate with Seville approach , practice landing procedures, go back to Jerez tower and rejoin the circuit and pull of an / approach landing that didnt have the instructor turn pale ( although I did go to hold off a little high ) ??

Yup , and i get to have another go at it tommorrow ,, now for Air Law .