PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!
Old 7th Jul 2007, 10:39
musclemech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It won't be as of 1 Oct.

There will be a few changes to RAFFT but largely not till 1 Apr 08. Details are with Stn Cdrs at the moment, I believe.

With regards to the twice yearly RAFFT: The aim of the RAFFT is pure and simple to encourage personnel to train regularly. Research quite clearly demonstrates that people who exercise regularly are more healthy, have less time off sick, less chance of diabetes, cancer, and the biggest killer in the UK coronary heart disease.

It was felt that current standards and frequency were not enough to encourage everyone to exercise regularly. In other words you could pass it once a year without having to do any exercise. If standards alone were raised, people could exercise for a couple of weeks before it and then go back to not exercising again. Theb twice yearly test is an attempt to stop this. I appreciate that individuals can still exercise in prep for two tests and then stop, but there has to be a line...! And this line does indeed coincide with the twice yearly Personal Fitness Test that Army personnel do.

To answer the original question, yes there will be some additional workload for us. Additional JPA input, creating lists for OC xxx and very probably a large increase in failures, at least to begin with, to name but a few, but that's for us to whinge and worry about.

And I guess there will be extra burden for you as well. I hear the comments about getting time off and admin burden etc but in the last 20 or so years, I have often seen the same sections run by different Bosses go from 'not being able to do any fitness training as they are too busy' to 100% RAFFT rates and/ or winning the CO's Cup. I agree there are some jobs where time off is impossible, but I think these are few in number, and too often it is used as an excuse by those who don't want to exercise. As another example: last 3 Stn Cdrs at my current unit (ie same job): current one exercises regularly, predecessor too busy, one before that exercised regularly.

MM