PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange Light Effect over HK
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2007, 01:54
sleepercell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So glad others saw it to.

We were at FL380 at about 2000 LT, tracking Kadlo to Elato and it passed down our right hand side. Very high and very fast, I would guess it was well up in the Stratosphere and doing Mach 3+.

At first we thought it was a full moon coming through the clouds as we flew towards the setting sun......but there where no clouds, just a fireball.

As it got closer it reminded me of when I saw Hayleys comet in the mid 90's. It glowed, was holding a constant trajectory and appeared to have a 'tail'.

As it passed abeam us the setting sun reflected off whatever it was and the sunlight was refracting through two really powerfull shockwaves....looked like a perfect V.

There was a secondry glow directly behind the object creating the shockwaves, in hindsight I think it was refraction through a strong contrail.

It then disappeared into the night over Taiwan.

I've had a good think about it, it was in the Earths atomsphere as it was creating a powerfull shockwave.......so therefore couldn't have been a satelite.

The only craft that would have the same sort of effect on the atomsphere would be a re-entering space shuttle, (this thing was maintaining level flight however)......the space shuttle was on the ground and I believe it re-enters the atomsphere as it nears the west coast of the US anyway.

So I don't know......need some help here.

I would guess the SR-71 going balls to the wall would have looked something like what we saw......but that has been retired for years.

Definitely NOT a laser from Macau

Last edited by sleepercell; 7th Jul 2007 at 03:08.