PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger or Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2007, 01:13
greybeard

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Living in Singapore

I did 10 yrs 93-03 and am back again since Nov 06, the place is still the best in SE Asia, becoming very expensive AGAIN for housing and difficult for schooling for space and cost.

Semei and Pasir Ris are newer places than the east coast, but are not as well expat populated or generally orientated. you will be a minority and the lonely one will be the wife and kids as you will work most legal days and nights. It is also the furtherst you can get from the traditional expat schools with transport expence and TIME making the kids days enourmous. Locals are generally OK but very reserved initially, very differently culturally and work orientated, school orientated for the kids with little spare time as we westerners normally enjoy.

I have a 3 bed 2 bath unit 12th floor in an older condo, best facilities you could expect, pools, shop (good one), 2 restaurants/bars, bus to rail and shopping centre, room to move about and the east coast park is 2 min over or under the freeway from the airport which is a bus ride or 5 mins in a cab.

cost with cable, internet and power/water 2700-3000/month taken last year, now 3500+ for similar and going up. Cars are VERY expensive compared with other parts we have been but the bus/train/taxi system is very good and not too expensive.
Can't comment on the flying except you will be MAXED OUT all the time on dayly monthly yearly totals if my limited contact is accurate and he does CRM on spare days when he is out of hours as that duty doesn't "count".

I am 60+ so kids and schools are not my prob, but has been difficult for some in the past, better check that one with current people

PM if I can help