PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2007, 17:19
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LO, MM,

Thanks for the replies and I happily stand better informed on drop tank consumption for other types. I would gently point out that my observation was based on plenty of operations with another type, which had drops and very rarely dropped them on ops, even when faced with significant threats.

BUT....I stand by my contention that drop tanks, especially for aircraft trying to go fast and low, or fast and long, or just long, are not an optimal answer. The basic aircraft internal volume needs to be as right as it can be for the mission. When you get drop tanks so large that they need to be jettisoned, in my view (and it's a personal one), the aircraft ain't right for the mission. And if you are really after sustained G, then drop tanks are definitely not the way to go - they nearly always impact available G and always increase drag.

For JSF, we might also bear in mind that LO is probably an 'early phase' requirement - later in the war, it will be loaded up with tanks and external weapons - and JSF has LOTS of weapons stations. So, and back to carrier thread matters, that means we will need adequate drop tank stowages in CVF - if it ever gets built...

Regards

Engines