PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Grandad in the R.A.F.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2007, 15:48
youngsod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uncle in the RAF

Brian, thanks for your link to www.lostbombers.co.uk. 2 minutes on it and I found the Halifax my uncle bailed out of in 1945

"Serial Range MZ447 - MZ495. 49 Halifax Mk.111. Part of a batch of 180 HP61 Halifax Mk.B.111. MZ282-MZ321; MZ334- MZ378; MZ390-MZ435; MZ447-MZ495. Delivered by the London Aircraft Production Group (Leavesden) between 25Sep44 and 20Nov44. MZ451 was initially issued to No.424 Sqdn. Airborne 0720 2Mar45 from Snaith. Cause of loss and crash-site not established. Believed to have crashed in Germany, though F/O Eastwell was taken to Belgium and buried at Henri-Chapelle. However, since then his remains have been transferred to Hotton War Cemetery. His crew are reported as 'safe' but it is likely they spent a period of time in captivity. F/O F.S.Eastwell KIA Sgt A.Nicolson Inj (also recorded as Nicholson) F/S G.A.Chugg Inj F/S D.P.Murnane Inj F/S J.S.Henderson Inj Sgt J.P.Watson Inj Sgt H.M.Walcott Inj F/S G.A.Chugg, F/S D.P.Murname, Sgt H.M.Walcott, Sgt J.P.Watson, Sgt A.Nicolson and F/S J.S.Henderson were confined in Hospital due injuries until Liberation. Returned UK 11May45. "

He was F/S J.S.Henderson. He survived the war and had a long happy life. Alas after surviving Nazi Germany he was killed in the end by a steak pie, thanks to the outbreak of e-coli in Wishaw.

He's always been a bit of a hero to me, and i'm bl00dy proud to have had him as an uncle. He had more guts than I could ever hope to have.