PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ghurka Rifleman PUN VC. Triumph! (Merged)
Old 6th Jul 2007, 13:53
PPRuNe Pop
Cool Mod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are a small selection of pics that I hope give you a sample of the atmosphere that past and current Gurkha's created for Tul Bahadur Pun VC. The respect everyone felt for him was almost tangible. It was most touching and an honour to be with a such a man. Although now frail it did not stop him making everyone aware of his gratitude for what has been done for him. Now we can hope that this fraility will diminish in the course of the next few weeks after the medical staffs have assessed him. He showed great strength of purpose in pleading the cause of Cpl Rai and all those who wish to come to the UK. A good few tears were shed.

It is a pity that more PPRuNers and AARSERS were not with us but us few natives made it known how much we welcomed the opportunity to be there.

There is no doubt that the efforts of PPRuNe is recognised in the fondest of ways, and when I was able to get to Mr Pun to give him a PPRuNe badge as a gesture, his son whispered something and Mr Pun's hand moved swiftly to shake mine. That broke me up but I was duly chuffed I can tell you.

There was plenty of time before Mr Pun arrived for a chat with various people NONE of whom I knew but before long I had found new friends who were former Gurkha's. I eventually found Tigs2 who had been running hither and thither on his errands of organisation. Then more chats with even more Gurka's. This was getting to be fun.

By now a two more PPRuNers had arrived, Chugalug2 and Rocket. Very nice gentlemen and we more or less stayed together but still chatted to more Gurkha's! And also tried to find some of the others who had had a hand in the campaign.

Tigs2 has to be congratulated for the effort he put in to all of this. Make no mistake it was a huge effort.

It was not until nearly 8 o'clock that Mr Pun arrived and the press were there in abundance as well as Sky TV. The daily Mirror hung their little banners and then it was clear yesterday that they were taking the credit for getting Mr Pun here. Typical, but wait until I get them to continue the campaign to get those Nepali's who are entitled to be here. Wanna bet where there stance will be?

Anyway, Mr Pun's citation was read out, as a matter of fact it was not read but came from the heart when read by, I suspect, and ex officer of the Gurkha's.

All very satisfactory it was. Then people left with addresses and e-mail addys to keep in contact. That I shall do.

Thanks to everyone on PPRuNe or elsewhere who really put their minds to the task to make it come off. It did and what a winner!

However, there is still a fight to fight to see that this government allow around 10,000 Gurkha's to reside here. It is not much to ask having asked them to lay their lives on the line in the defence of this country. They won 26 VC's and numerous gallantry medals in the service of this country.

Apart from some brave Poles and Czechs from eastern Europe, how many other eastern europeans have done that? But.....they are now here illegally in HUGE numbers. That cannot be right.

PPP