PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Scan Technique
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2007, 13:47
White and Fluffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFR Scan Technique

Hi,

I have recently started my MECIR and have received varying information on the method of conducting an IFR scan. During my NVFR rating and CPL I was taught a basic 'T' scan of the main instruments with cross reference to other instruments after each cycle. This was used in all phases of flight, climbing, descending, S&L, turning, etc. Now I have another instructor and they are teaching to use different scan patterns for different phases of flight with primary and secondary scans to differenet instruments. This means trying to remember about 6 different patterns and is really hard to do when you are trying to remember everything else.

My question is, what do other people do and in the long run what is the industry standard for both single pilot GA ops and the airlines? What would be expected in a sim check for an airline? If I can stay with the 'T' scan I will, if this is not adequate for more advanced aircraft and situations then I would prefer to start using the varied patterns now so it becomes second nature.

Any help and view points are greatly appreciated.

W & F.