PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what are the degrees you can take to be an airline pilot
Old 5th Jul 2007, 19:40
aftab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its a hard decision....

chapers1704

My 2 pence worth...

From what i know, i would personally advise you to consider not doing a degree however some people will disagree.

Doing a degree may put u ahead of many people without degrees when applying for airline schemes, however there are people who have got on to these schemes with A levels.

i would advise you to complete your A levels to a good standard and then soon after your A level exams find a good fulltime job and work for ~2 years. By doing this you will be able to save a large amount of money to put towards your course and in this time you will gain good life experiences and develop many skills. This will also reduce the amount of financial risk involved and you will around 20 years old which i believe is a good age to start flight training.
The best thing to do is write out all the advantages and disadvantages of doing a degree and take into consideration your own personal circumstances (for example will you be able to afford to pay for your flight training with your uni debt?)

At the end of the day it is a very personal decision as there are many advantages of doing a degree and also many disadvantages.
Can i just say if you are thinking of doing a degree as a backup you will need to consider which degree will get you a job at the end of it and it does not neccessarily need to be aviation related just because you want to be a pilot.
From what i know a (any) degree will not make it more likely to become a pilot, however it may help/boost your application. On the other hand there are people out there with only gcses.
your chances of becoming an airline pilot will depend on many factors and not only having a degree

Hope this helps.