PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Officer "assertiveness" versus Captain's "authority"???
Old 5th Jul 2007, 15:08
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sure that you are not trying to wind people up
I never wind people up.I just speak straight which some people dont like in this pc world.

other half of the crew is certified by competent authority.
Being certified is one thing.Knowing what you're doing is quite another.Cadet/junior pilots might well be recognized in the UK as having the right to recommend a go-around on a 737/757 into Samos or elsewhere.We dont have cadet pilots in a 737/757.Period.We carefully distinguish between beeing qualified and being able.

This is exactly the attitude leading to CFIT or collision with other traffic for example.
Actually,no.As all co-pilots in the majors in the States have good experience,the cockpit gradient is normally shallow.Two experienced crews can screw it up(cali) but if you look at a lot of accidents,you will see the common denominator was a steep cockpit gradient.NOT THE CAPTAIN LISTENING TO HIS CO-PILOT.But the co-pilot not fulfilling his true role as the experienced right arm becase he was simply not able to do so.Two of your(ie UK) last accidents are classic cases;Gerona and Kegworth.There was no experience in the right seat to act as senior advisor/caretaker.The skipper is the manager but he's not by any means omniscient so he needs good sound advice/assistance.

In what world do you think that your experience enables you to continue in strong windshear??! Are you some god who out-flies windshear
If you fly into Samos mid-afternoon in the summer,you will get windhsear,that why its briefed as cat c(just as some approaches trigger EGPWS warnings but its part of the brief...).There are occasions when you will discontinue.Its a judgement call.I would never advocate a pilot trying to out-fly persistent severe windshear just as I would never advocate a pilot with 300 hours sitting in the rs of a 737.

I think we understand each other now.