PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Gurkha betrayed
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2007, 15:08
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Received a reply from my MP with attached letter from "UKvisas, a Joint Directorate of the Home Office & Foreign and Commonwealth Office,- Making Travel and Migration work for Britain" (sic) and signed by Mr Richard Biscoe, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal Desk, Visa Customer Services (sic!):

"Dear Ms MP,
Thank you for your letter of 20 June to Lord Triesman on behalf of your constituent Mr Chugalug2, regarding the refusal of entry clearance to lance Corporal (sic) Gyanendra Rai (Rtd) to settle in the United Kingdom.
I appreciate your constituents concern regarding this case, and the situation facing ex-Gurkha's (sic) in general. Unfortunately, due to our obligations under the Data Protection Act, we are unable to divulge information relating to third parties, such as members of the public, without the signed consent of the applicant.
I am sorry that I cannot give more positive news but hope that this clarifies matters,
Yours sincerely, etc"

Good to know that UKvisas are so scrupulously looking after Mr Rai's interests, while meanwhile "Making Travel and Migration work for Britain"! One supposes they were equally as scrupulous safeguarding those applying to enter "Britain" (is the "UK" becoming a non state now?) to work for the NHS and to further their interests in Jihad. Also interesting to note that I was not enquiring to know the details of Mr Rai's rejection. We all know them. He failed to show evidence of close ties with the UK. He even failed to show close ties to the UK when on active service, fighting for us in the Falklands and being wounded so severely that he nearly died. Mr Biscoe is thus being disingenuous by quoting the DPA, but I suspect that he might see that as a compliment.
Keep piling on the pressure Ladies and Gents. Mr Pun reminded us yesterday that his hope is that all ex-serving Gurkhas be given right of abode here. Personally I think he is not asking for enough. IMHO they should be granted UK citizenship as a quid pro quo for their service, if they so wish.