PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying hobby in Melbourne / Australia in general
Old 5th Jul 2007, 13:56
drpain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying hobby in Melbourne / Australia in general

Hi,

I’m moving to Melbourne this September/October, and I want to continue my flying hobby there. I need some advice and insight on the local conditions…

First, I have to tell that I’ve been reading the CASA VFR manuals and consider to be quite informed with the local legislation issues also (although I haven’t found the full AIP online yet…)

Aaaaa-nyhow, mostly I’m interested to know about the practical issues. I have a JAR PPL (A) licence with around 90 hours of time on C152/172 planes, and I know that the license conversion is quite straight forward.

Currently I live in Finland and belong to a local aero club that is run on volunteer basis, we have 3 planes that members can hire and those planes are not hired for outsiders. Is this the normal procedure in Australia also, or do people, who fly just for fun, use some commercially oriented plane hire companies?

Also some insights on where would be the best place to get some ground hours with beer/coffee/etc. (is there a better english word for this?) with likeminded aviation people in Melbourne… Maybe even hitch a ride (I’ll always pay my share!) to get the feel on the local procedures and R/T before getting behind the stick my self ;-)

I really appreciate your help!

Tomi L, aka. “Drpain”