PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pearl CA voted down
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2007, 10:20
olderairhead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any negotiation is usually between 2 parties and neither wants to lose. So the most favourable outcome for both is when there is a win/win situation.

When the result of negotiation is not even, then the party that feels they have been "done over" tend to react and vote a document down or put it up, depending on which side of the negotiating table you are sitting on.

Pearl chose to put it up after being advised by the AFAP and the pilot reps that it would most probably not get up. The MAJORITY of pilots have determined that it was not acceptable and therefore voted it down. This is now a given. If someone cannot understand why the majority (yet to be announced) have done so it is probably because of a lack of communication.

There are 3 parties involved in these negotiations and all 3 should be approached to gain a full picture of what has transpired, and not only in recent times but also in the past. Pearl has a lot of baggage and you must gain some insight into this baggage to have a proper understanding of these negotiaitons.

Negotiated conditions over the years have been arrived at because of bitter lessons, both from a pilots perspective and also from a management perspective. Single word changes can have a significant impact on both sides. Part of the negotiation process for both parties is to explore these subtle changes and the impact they may have. The pilot reps have done this and reported it to the group for their consideration. It is important for everyone take these observations on board.

Remember also that there are many hours of dialogue between the parties before a document is released. Not only is a "word" discussed but also the "intent" of that word.

Unfortunately the "intent" is very difficult to convey in a document to all parties hence the need to spell it out in explicit detail. History has shown that "intent" can be interpreted differently by successive mangement.
So to finish up, this has given Pearl management two things to consider. The first is that the pilot reps do actually represent the majority feeling of the pilot group and secondly that they have to do something soon or they will end up in a no win situation.

Silence is not the expected nor desirable response.

Further, I suggest that most looked at the proposal, not from a personal point of view but how it would affect other pilots as well. I believe they have made their decision on this in addition to how it will impact on pilots employed in the future. If I am correct, this is probably a first. If not, feel free to shoot me down. But given the current situation in Pearl, I believe most are not there for the long term and therefore are not impeded by blinkers.

Well done guys (and girls?).

Finally, I sincerely hope I have not overstepped the mark by pointing out a few obvious (to me) observations and also a small lesson in the negotiation process and history.