PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hyperthyroidism
Thread: Hyperthyroidism
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2007, 06:44
Babablackship

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi ShyTorque,
Certainly glad you're fine after that unorthodox self treatment; how brave! Well, I only lost 6kg in 2.5 months and fortunately, I had no throat infections, headaches, hand tremors, goitre or blurred vision. I had occasional mild indigestion, 2 to 3 bowel movements daily with loose stools, elevated blood pressure ( 160/110, sitting down ) and a racy pulse ( 80 to 150 at rest and 110 to 190 with light to moderate activity ). The company doctor diagnosed my condition as pre -hypertensive state going to a full hypertension. My family doctor recognised the condition as early stage hyperthyroidism, but sent me to a cardiologist to rule out cardiovascular disease. After an echo-cardio scan and tests, he ascertained my ticker as fine. Next the endocrinologist diagnosed the problem as hyperthyroidism and Graves disease was confirmed after a thyroid scintographic scan. The anti-thyroid drug carbimazole and the beta blocker metoprolol were prescribed, but my condition improved ever so slowly. Despite sticking religiously to the medication schedule and dosage, my T4 and T3 hormone levels initially came down to just above the upper limit of mormal range and for some reasons that puzzled my endocrinologist, they shot up again. The dosage was then increased to almost 80% of the maximum, but the hormone levels still hover a couple of units above the upper limit of the normal range. The therapy had gone on for about 2 months and it is indeed frustrating to see early improvement only to see a regression.