PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!
Old 4th Jul 2007, 21:17
rudekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Fitness Test - Soon to be twice a year!

Excellent news! Allegedly from Oct 07, maybe some muscle-mechs can comment?

I'm all in favour of us being a fit fighting force, but we really don't need any extra admin burdens like this.

Not only do I have to CCS, IRT, PME, FMT600, Airfield Driving, Compulsory PT, Live fire, WHT but I've now got a second fitness test to do!

Now, I appreciate it's only half an hour down the gym, but in reality it's a whole sight more hassle than that. Especially given the three months (plus) a year in the sandpit and numerous other nights/days/weeks away during the year, it's just an extra pain in the arse...It's just another period of time when I can't be doing my primary or secondary duty, or when I need to be in work when I could be stood down following weekend tasking or an OOA. It's also another period of time that I have to programme the lads to be away from their primary/secondary duties, because you can bet your bottom dollar that they'll be on the CO's s**t list if they're not in date.

Bet you that the PTIs won't be in at weekends, or late nights to support our 24 hour ops (and no, I'm not moaning about PTI's as a group)

Now, given that our PTI cadre is being reduced and the fact that between them and SHQ noone can record the successful (or not) completion of the current RAFFT, this strikes me as another admin burden for the already busy Sqn to take on and another ill thought through retention-negative policy.

Given that last year, due to a randomly generated policy, I managed to do 3 fitness tests in a 4 month period and still be recorded as out of date on the system, will this mean I will need to do six next year in order to be recognised as fit? Our stn has an on arrival, as a Sqn and on Birthday policy, so frankly we might as well just do it every other week! Luckily, we'll be able to use our locally trained Sqn PT man, but wait: He can't do directed PT! Simply brilliant...

Anyone else spot a last minute attempt at branch justification by AMP?

Anyway, it's been a long day...