PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMC/Night for Permit types: Time for a change
Old 4th Jul 2007, 20:49
Mike Barnard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IMC/Night for Permit types: Time for a change

Isn't it time that Permit-to-fly aircraft be allowed to fly in IMC and at night? Many Permit types, if suitably equipped, would be equally at home in such conditions as Certified types, and I'd suggest it's an outdated anachronism that they are not allowed to do so. Indeed, exactly the same aircraft ARE allowed to fly on instruments and at night in many other parts of the world - notably America.

What I'm interested in, is who would support such a move? Many Permit owners would not be interested in IMC or night flying, and that's absolutely fine. Many aircraft on the PFA register could not practically be equipped for it. But then again, I suspect there are quite a number of owners of certified aircraft who already fly IMC, but would be very happy to change to a Permit machine, with attendant savings in cost, and much wider choice of types.

If the degree of interest is sufficient I and others would be willing to work with a like-minded group to explore 'the art of the possible'.

This message also goes out any who would be willing to share their direct experience and passion for helping make this happen. We are confident that with a correctly researched and professionally presented case, now would be the perfect time to push for this privilege within the broader EU framework.