PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It doesn't get much better than this
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2007, 20:44
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
AA - nice grenade, well tossed!

Have to say I agree. This has absolutely nothing to do with with 'being on ops' 'attached to Land' 'being in a war zone' or any other crappy staff-officer speak Div cares to dress it up as. This is all to do with personalities (or lack of) on ego trips, making up pointles rules and regs to justify their existance in an organisation that has always done a great job of making you wonder just who the enemy really is.

And why do I say that? Camp Bastion, summer 06 - in the midst of not firing a single shot with the 3 Para BG, guys out on combat ops every day. Dress regs on camp, shorts, t-shirts, sandals and weapons. The only rule, no open toed footwear or sweaty sports kit in the cookhouse, and stick a shirt on when someone important comes round. And that was with 3 Para BG. No doubt, many of those who object to people wearing civies, sports kit, non-uniform etc at BAS because it's unmilitary would have had a heart attack at Bastion.

Now if you would like to take your argument about being unmilitary in Camp, pop it down in writing and send it to CO 3 Para, not sure if it is still Col Stuart, and tell him that you think his guys were an unmilitary shower and not effective just because they happened to wander round Camp in shorts and t-shirts, please be my guest. I can guess what the response will be and I wouldn't like to be around when you have a chat with him.

What was the old saying - no combat unit has ever passed inspection. Try telling that to the divs in Div. It's Basrah not bloody Horseguards Parade. Now get a life, get a grip of it and get on with what you are actually there for. And breathe.