PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How was the RAF Waddington Airshow?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2007, 13:36
tonkatechie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEagle wrote:
Nonetheless, the cancellation could perhaps have been better promulgated? But how - Internet? Local radio??
I was working on the liveside, getting ready for the first aircraft to arrive on Sunday, when I got a heads up that the show might cancel. About 2 minutes after that I was told that it was, so I jumped in the wagon to get out the rain, very shortly after which I heard on 'Airshow FM' that it had been binned. A little channel hopping showed that this same news was also being broadcast on Lincs FM as well as BBC Lincolnshire. I know we're in the 21st century and we can get mobile internet on our phones, but I would suggest that only a very small percentage of visitors that day would have checked online to see if the show was still going, whilst they travelled up the road. I was as surprised as everyone when I heard the news, but having seen the quagmire along the western taxiway, I think a tough decision was well made.
I wouldn't want anyone to think that we packed up for an early trip to the pub either (and I appreciate that no-one has suggested this) - for the record I was still working at 1900 on Sunday just moving aircraft and equipment about the airfield, and I consider myself better off than the poor buggers up to their knees in mud sorting out the static side problems. A 12 hour day was better than the 13 hour Saturday and 15 hour Friday!
Apologies to those who missed out, I hope it hasn't put anyone off coming next year.