PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA to get Airbus to update de-pressurisation procedures?
Old 10th May 2001, 18:14
Wino

Skydrifter

In this case you don't know anything about the A300-605R and you are waaaay off base.

There are 2 outflow valves with 3 motors driving each of them. Airbus manuals (not just the company AA ones) stated that the Ram Air switch would operate any time it was depressed leading to a rapid depressurization, hence the "Caution do not use above 1 PSI warning". 1 motor drives the auto side, 1 motor drives the manual side and 1 motor drives the valve full closed for ditching.

The way it was diagramed was that the ditching motor (which closes the valves) could open them in such a case.

Such was not the case however, and control of the valve had changed many line numbers before American got their aicraft.

Almost no one was aware that Ram air button wouldn't work in manual, especially because the ditching button will!

What is even more shocking is that the crew was able to open the door of a pressurized aircraft! I thought that there were certification standards to prevent that. I guess I was wrong.

Cheers
Wino