PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How was the RAF Waddington Airshow?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2007, 06:39
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
Nonetheless, the cancellation could perhaps have been better promulgated? But how - Internet? Local radio??

Maybe a short pre-recorded message on a dedicated 'airshow news' phone number might be an idea next time? Make it 10p to call and get some additional income?
I was going to comment directly but BEagle covers part of my point. Indeed the local radio did cover the cancellation and in these days of instant media we expect instant news.

In reality all news is stale. In the airshow case, as it was such a fine run thing, it is inevitable that the crowds (?) were still being admitted as the decision to cancel was being made. Yes, the gates could have been left closed until that decision had been made but usually the local police insist the gates are open well before the start time. Yes, the local radio could broadcast the news but, even though they were on the airfield, they are not part of the air show executive. It all takes time.

A little like a supertanker, you can issue an order to turn it away but that takes time.