PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Flight Training VS Wycombe Air Centre (which school?)
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 20:41
michaelthewannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on Pilot Flight Training

Hey folks.

I'm learning at Pilot Flight Training at the moment. I've had four lessons with them (although I've booked eighteen in that time, fourteen of which have been cancelled by weather!)

So, what to say about them? They're very organised, they have a very good attitude, the instruction I've had from them has been fairly good. I've had three different instructors and some of them quite resemble hours-builders: career instructors would be preferable, but none of the instruction I've received has been ineffective or less than competent. Aircraft are typical old Cherokees, but appear diligently maintained. Oxford seems to be quite a good place to learn: big tarmac runway and grass both available, proper ATC with ground, tower and approach (although only tower seems to be operational whenever I have my lessons there), and plenty of traffic to keep you on your toes, but not (in my limited experience) so much that it gets in the way. Costs are reasonable: PA28-140 dual instruction is £132/hour, and landing fees are included in the £125 annual membership.

I suppose I'd echo what someone else said, and go for a flight at both to see what they're like. If everything else was completely equal, the career instructors at Wycombe would probably tip it for me. But what tips it for me is the fact that Oxford Airport is ten minutes' drive from both my house and my office!

Good luck!

mtw