PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What To Wear When Flying!!!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 20:20
maxdrypower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initially I used to wear a flying suit (yeh a real one) Reason being a friend of mine was flying a PA-28 in Cypurs when he had an on board fire . He was dressed as any pilot in cyprus would be , sandals shorts and T-shirt . The fire originated from under the instrument panel . He sustained major burns to his legs and hands prior to his passenger extinguishing the flames with the fire ext. This scared me somewhat. Although I have never heard this happening anywhere else since but you just never know. No one will ever know whther or not wearing nomex would have prevented these burns , at the end of the day wearing jeans might have prevented the injuries from being so bad . But who knows ? A lot of people take the pixx out of those who choose to wear flying suits for GA , but at the end of day flames are flames . The military have been wearing them for yrs , Robinson helis are now recommending pilots wear helmets , The police now wear flying suits and helmets in helicopters , all this is as a result of injuries and fatalities that may have been prevented if this clothing had been worn .
Well thats another take on it I suppose.
Speaking as an ex military officer , ties are for the mess ,when you do the job your paid to do you will not be wearing a tie and believe me you will still be professional