PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Command Failure Rates
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 14:33
Buttie Box

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTH

Agree with you 100% mate.

We were always taught there were 4 stages of training: instruction, demonstration, practice and assessment.

Instruction is sometimes an out-of-date CBT package backed up with this FCOM system (can we please please have the old Vol 4s back!)

Demonstration is non-existent, arguably due to face-saving, but I'm not that cynical.

Practice, well, we can all read a book.

Assessment is where we first have the opportunity for hands-on experience. Thus, our training system has the reputation of being a trapping/checking system.

With few exceptions, and we know who they are, the trainers I find are helpful but are operating within a system that is constrained by both cost and difficulties, such as having to relocate based crew to Honkers for training.

Back to DTH's comment above, I am of the opinion that:

a. We are hired on our ability to use previous experience to allow us to train ourselves, and

b. Our command course is the length it is as it is a "supervised experience" course, or, in other words, if we are seen to be keen and flawless for 4 months, it is unlikely that we we will err in some form in the future.

BB