PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - straight in approaches
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 13:25
Scurvy.D.Dog
I'm in one of those moods

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. The bloke who said ‘don’t’ .. had want to consider the consequences of effectively issuing an ‘instruction’ …. Had the subsequent circuit (additional 3-5min in the terminal area) collected the light blue See-bee on downwind (hypothetically) ….. mate, if the lawyers could corroborate who said ‘don’t’ ….. that is a worlda hurt for the rest of his days!
2. FTDK, werbil, absolutely correct … subject to ‘use of some degree of cranial matter’ and assessment of traffic early …It is also incumbent on existing circuit aircraft to consider fitting the turn onto base once the straight in is in sight or gives you a distance to run when you are ready for base …. I mean ferked if I want to be putting along at 70kts craning around trying to see the big faster bugga trying to mow me down from behind on Dwind, Base or Final, particularly if I am below in front!
3. I’ll bet my left nut, many of these sorts of events are due to frequency management (more than one ), unheard or no broadcasts, and time in flight between ATS and CTAF (time available to acquire SA)
4. As coral said, at busy aerodromes (including firkin CTAF Airshows .. ferchristsake), a straight-in ‘could’ be lethal. Targets approaching from left AND right base despite the rules .. most of whom will be looking into the turn onto final, not out board along the extended final leg … equally, flying dodgems around 4 legs with god knows how many targets to hit! … if it is that busy why would you not invest in 3-6mins and stay out the way (or above) until yer have the picture or it quietens down … cheap insurance! Seen smart folks (mostly IFR fast singles and twins) do it many times during airshow arrivals bursts!
hmmm ….. depends on the cloud base too I suppose ….. eeeeeeeew .. that brings back some bad memories!