PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Information
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 12:59
WannaBeCiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow ATPL Information

Back in the olden days, when Pontius was a pilot and even BEagle was still in the RAF, the PPRuNe military aircrew forum used to be both a source of information and a place for (sometimes harsh, but amusing) banter. Unfortunately over the years it has become more a forum for the discontented and a soap box for those that have no idea what they are talking about. So I was hoping to introduce a truly useful thread that could be used by many. Also I want some info.

Mods - Please do not move this thread to Wannabes Forum, military aircrew don't read it!!

I am a RAF FJ pilot with just over 2500 hours looking to join the airlines (probably) in early 2009. Unfortunately the usual method of getting info from the other 5 people on the squadron currently doing their ATPL is not open to me and the resettlement people aren't too clued up on ATPLs around here, so I am turning to the Great World Wide Web for information.

I know that as I have >2000 hours I am exempt from most of the exams. Almost everything else I am trying to piece together and much of it is assumption.

I believe that I need to:
1. Do Groundschool. Everyone uses Bristol. Anything else?
2. Get an IR - any recommended schools, any CAA limitations/rules, approx cost?
3. Do a MCC - same questions as for IR.
4. Get a medical.
5. Get a job (for the first time in 16 years)

Funding - Resettlement starts from 2 years to exit date, so can I get all grants etc from that point? Can I use my resettlement grant to pay for Bristol GS, ELCs for my IR and ELCs (next year) for my MCC? I know that from 1 Apr ELCs go up to £2000/year. Or is there a better way to do it?What else can I claim for and what other allowances are available?

RAFCARS / Managed path any use?

Which airlines are positive towards military (FJ) pilots and which aren't? Roughly when should I start applying? I know long haul/short haul has been covered quite a bit recently - anything constructive to add or is it horses for courses?

Any other top tips? If you want to keep it super secret then please PM me, but knowledge is NOT power so please share as widely as possible. Also I am sure my helo and multi brothers (and sisters) would appreciate info - this is not a FJ exclusive thread!

Thanking you all in advance, light blue, dark blue and even green.

ps I have tried quite hard with my speeling and grammar, please don't critique it!