PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I get a website on a search engine ?
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 12:34
bnt

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an industry these days, and it's a jungle out there. Google and other are constantly tweaking things to stop SEO comment spammers and other abuses, which work on the principle that a site with lots of links to it are more valued.

I've never used SEO, but I have found that unique "keywords" always get through. If what your son's friend is offering is the same as many others are offering, SEO can give a site a temporary boost, at a price, but what if everyone thinks the same way and does the same things? It's going to be an uphill struggle for attention. (see "attention economy")

I've come to the conclusion that normal business rules apply, except that the market is bigger. You need to have a "unique selling point" in your market, the kind of thing that a bank manager would use in evaluating your business plan for a loan. The difference is that the markets for luxuries like art are now global, and highly competitive.

Example: three years ago I bought a piece of musical gear, an Akai MPC1000 sampler/drum machine, and wrote a FAQ on it based on my experiences. It's always near the top of any search for "MPC1000 FAQ", if not the top, because there are not many relevant FAQs around. I could have made some money from relevant ads, but I'm using free web hosting by wordpress.com, which doesn't support ads, but also costs me nothing.