PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How was the RAF Waddington Airshow?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 12:21
Release-Authorised

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Ferret,

It was a lovely day at 0615 at Waddington - I changed into my good weather uniform, walked downstairs to the office foyer to be greeted by the rain coming down in stair-rods (not forecasted). This rain continued for a further hour turning the Western taxiway into a torrent (over the top of a pair of flying boots) and swamping the stalls opposite the static line. The first cars onto site turned off the taxiway onto the grass roadway and turned it into a mud bath.

After 10 minutes cars became stuck, so a parallel road was made to the first - this one lasted 5 minutes before cars also became stuck. The parking attendants were then forced to direct all traffic into the national disabled carpark (first available space) while they tried in vain to make the roadway passable with straw. Soon the disabled park was filled with able bodied persons' cars. The show was called off soon afterwards with the met office promising another trough with the potential of similar heavy rain for an hour. I understand that ground conditions at the lower end of the airfield were even worse.

As one stood in the rain watching a disaster about to unfold, the decision to call off the display was made - the correct and proper option. The outcome is disappointing for all concerned - however to manage the ground conditions with emergency services being diverted into Lincoln away from the airshow was impossible.

I notice lots of complaints from those who were not actually there to experience the conditions. Those of us who were there do not have a guilty conscience.