PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strange habits of your copilots...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 04:00
Cardinal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LEM, your point has been entirely lost on a set of defensive aviators. Let us recall, LEM's gripe was with the "So and so told me...." type of justification. You all rail about SOP and the like, well if you know the SOP like the back of your hand it shouldn't be a problem, shouldn't be terribly "confusing" when you hear something contrary.
What happened to basic diplomacy? When the skipper says something totally daft, let it go, laugh internally, say "Oh, very interesting sir" and forget about it at the end of the trip. Your next captain will appreciate it very much if you reject such lousy "advice" and carry on as a professional, in accordance with SOP. Makes his job much easier. From the Captains perspective, LEM is right, it is frustrating to see a good FO do something stupid and use the opinons of a stupid aviator to justify it. At my airline we have one instructor who exerts an inordinately large impact on my aircraft type. At least once a week somebody utters the phrase "Well [Fred] says...." And I am forced to counter with "If [Fred] told you to jump off a cliff, would you? What does the book say?" Terribly frustrating.
Conversely, there are lots of tips and tricks that serve to make the operation more efficient, smooth, or comfortable, and they fall into the technique category vs. procedure. When a captain passes along a helpful hint, think about it, compare it with any SOP limitations, and make sure that you fully understand what is happening in the background before you implement your new trick.

As for this statement from sudden Winds -
LEM, the pilot flying next to you is not your copilot, he/she is one more pilot that happens to have been hired after you were, and if he´s not undergoing instruction (and you´re not an instructor, which it´s obvious you´re not) make sure you intervine in his flight only when safety is an issue,
This is a very dissapointing attitude (if you're an FO) or policy (if you're a CA). I read something on this board that epitomized the opposite of that thinking. Something to the effect of:

"To the great captains, who taught me something on every trip, thank you. To the horrible captains, thank you as well, for you also taught me something. To those that taught me nothing, thanks for nothing."