PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lighten our darkness, oh Lord! The lighting thread
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 01:07
FutureController

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up US Landing Light Custom Question:

I've heard different things about the custom when switching landing lights on and off for commercial airline flights. I live about 50 miles from KLAX - right under a route for some of the Eastern-bound flights - mostly from 24L/R (I am just at the Southern base of Saddleback Mountain). The pilot(s) are typically just switching the lights off as they go over my place between 18,000 and 24,000 feet and roughly 400 knots, but this varies by about 40-60 miles. Am I correct when I imagine they are going through some sort of post-takeoff checklist and the 1st officer gets around to this about 15 minutes after wheels-up? How does this work?

I just love planes, want to fly someday, just starting my commercial flight and Aviation Science degrees at Mount San Antonio College, and fly as much as I can on FSX. Any words of encouragement and/or knowledge are more than appreciated! I am so jazzed about the 787 rollout.

Scott