PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains flying on RIGHT SEAT !
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 00:26
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain in RHS - FAA

Zenj -
xxx
As far as US/FAA rules are concerned (FAR Part 121) a captain may occupy the RHS provided he completed a RHS proficiency check to demonstrate a takeoff with V1 engine failure, and a 1 engine-out approach and landing.
xxx
Here in Argentina, we observe FAA rules (with very few exceptions) - all our 747 F/Os are P1 qualified and fly the LH seat when they are PF. When acting as PNF, captains occupy the RHS.
xxx
Interesting to note, I am also qualified as F/E (I fly 747-200s), so I actually could occupy any seat. Further, NOTHING in FAA rules says that a captain has to occupy the LHS or RHS, provided he has access to ALL controls. Since the 747s have a nose wheel steering tiller at the RHS station, he can elect to fly from the RHS.
xxx
Occupancy of LHS or RHS are only sanctionned by individual airline policies. We found that F/O occupancy of LHS has never been a source of incidents or accidents, and this enhances their proficiency at the time they upgrade as captain. We have a 99.9% pass rate on 747 captain upgrades...
xxx
Global 707 - Single engine approaches and go around...?¿?¿?
Well, yeah, we do that for fun in the 747 simulator, if some time is left.
The approach and landing are generally ok, but for the go around, we often crash. Sorry, we lack proficiency.
xxx

Happy contrails