PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terror incident at Glasgow Airport
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 23:55
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
A simple line of bollards (like you see in pedestrian areas in cities) on say 2m spacing inside the kerb line would suffice to stop vehicle penetration towards any building, while still allowing free access for pedestrians to/from the vehicles. Just install them sufficiently inside the kerb line to allow vehicle doors to open (I offer this advice as it is apparent that airport operators generally do not have a clue about such matters). A contractor could install these along the complete terminal frontage at Glasgow and elsewhere in a few days and usage of the roadway be resumed as normal - and hasn't the government said they want to continue as normal.
Great idea! The terrorists will never think of getting a car that is less than 2m wide! I can see them now, ramming their Hummer against the bollards trying to access the building. Lets hope they don't use something narrow like a Jeep Cherokee. I wonder how effective bollards are against a car bomb adjacent to the building.

Lets get real here. Even our in-house security publications warned of the vulnerability of terminal buildings to VBIEDS over 2 years ago, yet nothing meaningful has been done at many UK airports to stop someone pulling up right outside. If we knew about it the authorities certainly knew about it, but it costs money to take effective preventative measures. The Glasgow attack has simply demonstrated what happens when you take half-hearted measures to counter a very real threat.