PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Leg Distance Requirement - 500m Before Airfield Boundry or RWY Threshold
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 23:17
john_tullamarine

Received 113 Likes on 73 Posts
... ah .. takes me back many years ago to when we were much younger and much naughtier (ie much sillier) ... glider towing at Camden (dim memory now) ... the aim of the game led to some aiming at the threshold on base for a split A and flare ... and the occasional ring left on the fence ..

(Occasional towing at RAAF RIC was never a problem as the RAAFies didn't seem to mind at all ... although the Callair was not much fun hauling around at low level in the landing configuration .. as I recall the ailerons were then only useful for waggling .. they had scant effect on roll rate.)

More than once Miro V (I don't think I ever saw his name written down so I probably have the spelling wrong) would pontificate from the tower and haul us reprobates up for a suitable grilling and toasting .... he would read us the riot act about distances from the aerodrome and (with his DCA hat on) would never agree to our suggestion that the distance could be bent 90 degrees to incorporate base ... just as well he spent most of his spare time with the gliding fraternity ...

ah .. the fragile joys of youthful ignorance and overconfidence ..