PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How was the RAF Waddington Airshow?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 22:07
Short Ferret

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waddington cancellation

Together with a friend I had a 300 mile round trip to get Waddington on Sunday.

As already mentioned, the show website had a news item posted since 26th June stating that recent and forecast wet weather would not be a problem due to excellent drainage on site. That item was joined by another at 0645hrs on the Sunday morning stating that while some areas of the car parks were muddy, the show would be going ahead and visitors were encouraged to attend. So off we went up the A1. There is nothing between London and Waddington by the way (except Alconbury and Wittering). On arrival at the show car park at 1045hrs a thoroughly unpleasant police officer took great pleasure in explaining the show was cancelled. I'd assumed due to the current security state. To find out later that it was due poor conditions underfoot that would only get worse with the predicted weather has made me extremely angry. I do not doubt a that there was much mud and genuine H & S concerns, but to continue to encorage attendance up to and including the Sunday morning was ridiculous and irresponsible. Incidentally, the Met Office early warning of heavy rain in force since the Saturday afternoon was cancelled at 1116hrs on Sunday.

The final insult is to see that the show website has removed the news items posted on 26 June and at 0645hrs on 01 July, to replace them with a notice stating that applications for refunds will be 'considered'. There is no apology for the blind and obviously misplaced faith in onsite drainage. Oh, and there's no address or contact to direct these complaints other than the refunds office at the station.