PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lean of Peak Operation On Australian Avgas?
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 15:19
gassed budgie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I was just saying that I knew of particular aircraft that were damaged by running too lean
It's not the EGT as such that ruins cylinders, it's the CHT that junks them. Suggesting that running an engine LOP is the reason for it going AWOL is erroneous and perhaps not giving one the full story.
When operating an engine at 70°LOP you are about 170°F away from peak engine temps, peak pressures, peak power, peak everything. The engine runs cool, it runs clean and the CHT's are way, way down. You won't junk the cylinders, you won't bugger up the valves and you'll have a nice light gray/brown exhaust pipe at the end of your trip (it's usually the first thing I do after exiting the aircraft at the completion of a long leg - the wife still doesn't understand why I get so excited when inspecting the end of exhaust pipe and noting the nice uniform shade of light gray up inside the end of it).
The LOP debate has been going on here for some time now and this thread has nothing new to add. So to save us all from having to type out a reply to the post, do an LOP search, read the posts and if you've got something fresh and new to add we're listening.