PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help please with aged PC connection to equally aged lappie
Old 2nd Jul 2007, 13:49
brockenspectre

Rainbow Chaser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Help please with aged PC connection to equally aged lappie

Hi all

Hope someone can help me. On Saturday night I logged off AOL broadband and my aged PC as normal. On Sunday morning when I tried to boot up the PC it kept hanging. When I did successfully boot it and tried to access AOL the PC would hang/freeze again. I contacted AOL and the tech guy identified a faulty modem and he ordered a replacement which will apparently take about 5 working days to arrive. With the modem disconnected the PC boots perfectly.

To get online, I have dug out my even more aged IBM560Z laptop (which has no disc/CD rom drives!) and can connect it to the internet via a very slow dial up connection. Obviously the version of AOL running on this lappie is equally ancient but it is working!

As many of you know, I am virtually housebound these days due to the triggering of a form of parkinson's disease just over a year ago, so don't have the wherewithal to just buy brand new puter stuff. Equally, thanks to my parky bo11ox,there is at the mo quite a lot of to-ing and fro-ing with my former employer, health insurers, lawyer, Dept of Work etc etc. All the documentation/emails on this is stored on the PC and thanks to there being no drives for the lappie I can't transfer them.

The lappie does have a docking station but no USB port so I can't just get one of those tiny USB memory devices. I don't have any spare cables but do have both a scanner and a printer slaved to each other and to the PC via a parallel port so there are two parallel port cables there.

I was wondering if there is some way with the resources I have I can connect the PC to the lappie so I can attach a document stored on the PC to an email I am going to send from the lappie.

Hopefully when the new AOL modem arrives next week it will prove to have been the sole cause of my puter problems, but it would be good for me to have a back-up for the future so I would like a solution.

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who responds!!